Pages

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Making Christmas Presents - Chutney



I am feeling rather chuffed with myself that, to date, I have not bought one commercial present - and I am trying hard to keep it that way this year.  We have had a general concensus that no bought presents are to to given or recieved this year.  Only home made ones, or the present of the persons presence!

I don't trust that people want my presense so much, so tonight, I am making chutney as gifts.  The recipe is from the man I secretly want to run away with Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall but only as far as River Cottage.

Here is the link to the original recipe ...

hughs-fig-and-cranberry-christmas-chutney-recipe

Makes 2-4 jars

Ingredients

  • 500g onions, chopped
  • Scrap of oil
  • 1kg diced apples, any will do but try to include some Bramleys
  • 500ml cider vinegar (I will use verjuice)
  • 400g demerara sugar
  • 200g dried figs, diced
  • 125g dried cranberries
  • Zest and juice of 1 orange
  • Generous glass of port
  • 5cm piece root ginger, roughly chopped
  • 6 cloves (will leave these out as I hate them)
  • 12 cardamom pods
  • 1 tsp coriander seeds
  • 100g walnuts, roughly chopped

Method

  1. Start by sweating the onion in a scrap of oil then add the apple. Pour over the vinegar and sugar and and once it's had a good stir and the sugar has dissolved then fun can start.
  2. Add the fruits to the pot then after that the orange zest and juice, followed by the port.
  3. Next it's time to put together your spices. Tie the ginger, cloves, cardamom pods and coriander seeds in a clean square of muslin and secure with string. Immerse the pouch deep in the simmering chutney and let it bubble away for an hour or so, making sure to stir it regularly so it doesn't catch on the bottom.
  4. Add the walnuts and cook for a final 30 minutes. If you can part your chutney and see a little bit of pan on the bottom you are done.
  5. Decant the warm chutney into sterlised jars, seal with vinegar-proof lids and allow to cool.

I will post back and show how it went.

6 comments:

  1. Yum! My first year with Hubby I wanted to do the home made thing. I put so much thought and care into it all but unfortunately it just wasn't noted by some people at all, which did put me off the homemade touch a little. Maybe next year I should give it another go

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is impressive, I want to give that a go, just a pitty I can't cook. I always aim to make shortbread, but it doesn't happen, however Friday is a may be xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martha Stewart eat your heart out! Im very impressed this looks delicious and Im sure it will be the gift they all remember because of the time and effort that goes into a homemade gift :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that's a fantastic approach to Christmas. It gets ridiculous. Mumsie and I are trying to convince my cousin that we don't need to do presents for the adults anymore, just the kids. She isn't on board this year. Hopefully we will have convinced her by next year. She is a nightmare to buy for!

    Wanted to let you know that I tagged you to write your Dear Santa wish list. Stupid iPad (I'm borrowing it so should be much nicer about it!) won't let me paste the link. You know where to find me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - you have taken on your fill over the past few weeks. Look out Master Chef !!!

    Sending you a request to visit the following post as I have tagged you for a 2012 reflection -
    http://blog-jacana.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/12-things-for-2012.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have tagged you for a christmas wish list for santa...see my latest post.
    Bec x

    ReplyDelete